Divine Dimension

You from new york you are so relevant you reduce me to cosmic tears... Luminous more so than most anyone; unapologetically alive

Friday, December 02, 2005

My Sunshine Baby

Mood: Hopeful and Happy
Thought: I would do anything just for one baby smile.
Song: Sunshine Baby by Reamonn

Lately it has been next to impossible to get rest in this house. My little 16 month old teether is wrecking havoc in our home and inflicting his pain upon everyone who can stand to be around him. He wakes up frantic for food (because he is going through a growth spurt as well) and all hell breaks loose as we try to feed him, provide him with his morning bottle, change his diaper, rock him, feed him again, play with him and then try several attempts to release him into his crib for a morning nap. The nap only lasts for an hour, at which point his little banshee screams are heard all the way across the neighborhood as he shakes the crib apart wanting out...wanting more food...wanting yet another bath...wanting more toys, new toys, different distractions (like the cat's tail)...wanting it ALL.

Last night when my husband and I were awakened for the third time due to my little sunshine's ferocious teething (he's cutting five teeth simultaneously), I began to ask myself the infamous question, "Why did I have another child!?? What was I THINKING?" I began to think, "What if he grows up this cranky? What if this is not a passing stage? What if he becomes some awful, spoiled little brat? What if all his preschool teachers secretly hate him and all babysitters won't touch him even if I offered a 401K plan and three salary increases yearly with paid vacations"? What if when he visits relatives, they suddenly all become extremely "busy"? What if my mom "doesn't have room" in her new place for all of us? What if he becomes one of those little babies who kicks, screams and bites other babies?

All those thoughts diminished once he finally fell asleep on my drool-soaked shoulder. I listened to his little baby breath against the soft, plaid crib sheet as I slowly placed him in the crib. Then I watched his cute, tiny thumb slowly rise towards his mouth while his baby bum went straight up into the air as he snuggled into a tiny ball on his tummy against his favorite plushed doggy toy. Amidst everything going on in my life: hurricanes, illnesses, debt, loss of loved ones and friends and battling my health....this is the one constant. I peered over at little sunshine's brother, nestled in his covers in the bed across from the crib. He looked so peaceful and calm. Everytime I see their little eyes smiling at me, I see life, love and everything innocent and wonderful: they're my little rays of sunshine.

Now I remember what it's all about. Now when I am down about anything, I will look at these two little bundles of sunshine in pride and joy, remembering the words from Reamonn's song, "Sunshine Baby":

Won't you be my sunshine baby
in a world that's sometimes crazy
I see through my window I see through the trees
I'm watching the world as it falls on it knees
I hope for tomorow hope for today
I'm lost for the words with so much to say
No one can tell me answer me why
I'm watching the world as it's crashing me by
Can you see the reasons the ones that are true
tell me there's me and there's me and there's you
Won't you be my sunshine Baby
you know your words always save me
Won't you be my sunshine baby
in a world that's sometimes crazy
I see through my window the stars as they shine
I know in my heart that there's still enough time
To make a difference to make a change
To make a world where we're glad that we came
All that was righteous and all that was wrong
All that was written can be undone
Tell me the reasons and say that their true
Tell me there's hope and say that it's you
And I'm rooted like a willow Tree
I'm reaching out to the sea as you hold on to me
And I'm gonna stop the hands of time so the sun can always shine
and the world will finally see

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home