Divine Dimension

You from new york you are so relevant you reduce me to cosmic tears... Luminous more so than most anyone; unapologetically alive

Friday, January 07, 2005

Two Light Sleepers in the Same Sleeping Vicinity

It doesn't work...just doesn't cut it. Two light sleepers in the same sleeping vicinity never works out to be productive towards a good night's rest. He turns to the right, I to the left. He snores, which alarms me and I jump. He snatches the covers, I snatch them back. I am not talking about my husband mind you, but my 5 month old infant! I have had less than twenty minutes of R.E.M. sleep per night since this little insomniac arrived into the world. Right now I am content to watch him peering at Baby Beethoven on the tube, while he kicks his little legs. (He has this annoying but adorable little habit of rubbing his legs together like a cricket when he is beginning to tire). So on goes my little cricket, chirping away in his baby swing, learning new things, cooing at his older brother, and STILL keeping me awake at night. I want to be able to glady wake up, rock him back to sleep, singing gently to him with patience until his eyelids are heavy with sleep, tip-toe into his room and gently place him into his bassinet, ever careful not to awaken him. But alas, instead I wake up nauseous from chemo, barely able to pick him up, managing to point a bottle somewhere in the general vicinity of his mouth, hoping not to put it in his nose instead, holding back tears and nausea while he finishes his meal and then racing him back to bed so I can attempt to grab a hold of just a couple more hours of shut-eye before his alarm clock cooing begins again. I am hoping some of you new mothers out there can answer something for me. Why doesn't my baby just wake up squealing in one short burst? At least that way I know I have to get up. Aidan manages to coo a little, go back to sleep, and like a baby snooze button, sounds off again at the end of ten minutes. Then the cycle starts. I hear him cooing, but since he is not wailing or screaming I think, "Oh ok well maybe he will just drift back off to sleep". "Oh listen to that...quiet. Maybe he is asleep again and I can get one more hour". But alas, he awakens again in ten minutes! If anyone has the answer to the baby snooze button delimma, please help me out. Signed, a desperate new mother.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home